Sunday, August 22, 2010

Stuffed Chicken Breasts with Wine Sauce!


And I am back on the bandwagon!! After a few baking mishaps that left me disappointed in my work, I successfully cooked dinner for my husband and I that tasted amazing. I am so proud of it!!

At first I didn't know what to make and I posted my dilemma on my Facebook page (Eating With A). Someone suggested these wonderful sounding Chipotle Chicken Rolls and I am excited to try them but since I don't eat spicy food that often, I think I will save that recipe for the next time we host a party so I can try a little but not waste the food if it is too spicy for me.

So I thought and thought and searched the Internet for ANYTHING to inspire me. I knew I had to use chicken...we have so much in the house right now. So after reading about 100 recipes, I finally came up with a mish-mosh of ideas and went downstairs to test it out...

I came up with chicken breasts stuffed with ricotta cheese, spinach, Parmesan cheese and chopped black olives and topped with a wine sauce. Here are the ingredients and directions:

Ingredients:
6 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, 1/4 inch thick
1/2 cup thawed and drained frozen spinach
1/2 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup black olives, chopped finely (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1 large egg

For Sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon flour
1/4 cup white wine (and another 1/8 cup white wine)
1/2 cup chicken broth (and another 1/4 cup chicken broth)

Steps:
I found making the stuffing for the chicken breasts first was the easiest...in a bowl, I mixed the ricotta cheese and Parmesan cheese, then mixed in the spinach and olives until well combined. Then in a separate bowl I whisked the egg and slowly poured it into the cheese mixture and mixed until completely absorbed into the mixture. After that, I sprinkled some salt and pepper into the mixture and stirred it in for a little extra taste.


Then I got the chicken and laid it on a plate. In the middle of each chicken breast, I spread the stuffing. Then I did the best I could to roll it up so the stuffing stayed inside. I solidified the rolled chicken with some toothpicks.

After all chicken was rolled, I put some olive oil in a skillet and put the chicken rolls inside. After cooking them on each side for 2 minutes, I lowered the heat and covered the skillet, letting it sit for 5-7 minutes to cook through. Then I took the chicken off the heat.


Now it was time for the wine sauce! In a large sauce pan, I put the butter and flour in and cooked that for a minute. I then whisked in 1/4 cup of wine until well blended, and then the remaining 1/8 cup of wine. I then let that reduce for a minute. Then I whisked in 1/2 cup of chicken broth and stirred until completely absorbed - then the remaining 1/4 cup broth.

I reduced the heat and put the chicken rolls into the wine sauce and let it simmer for about 7-10 minutes.


When ready to serve, remove the toothpicks and enjoy!!

This sounds complicated but it wasn't...the hardest part was learning to roll the chicken.

And the wine sauce is SO good that I can see using this on various chicken or fish dishes. It's simple to make and tastes so good!!

Try it out for yourself and see :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment