Friday, August 27, 2010

Stir Fry Sounds Good To Me!


Chinese food is one of my favorite things to eat. A lot of Asian food is actually - the flavors are savory and delicious. So one of the first things I learned to make on my own was stir fry. It's very simple, and if you have all your ingredients chopped ahead of time, you can easily throw it together for a nice meal after work in under 20 minutes.

Personally I'd rather use sliced pieces of chicken over beef, but everyone has their favorite tastes. Here are some of my other favorite ingredients:
Udon noodles
Water chestnuts
Bamboo shoots
Snow Peas
Mushrooms
Onion
Pepper
Cashews

Sometimes I use all ingredients, other times, just what I have on hand. I know fresh mushrooms are best but I am partial to the sliced mushrooms that come from a can. I also use the water chestnuts and bamboo shoots that are in cans often found in the Asian section of your local supermarket.

I always cook the udon noodles like spaghetti first in boiling water, then add it to the stir fry at the very end with the sauce. Or, I just put the udon noodles on the plate and pile stir fry on top!! Depends on my mood, I guess.

Here are 2 of my favorite stir fry sauce recipes:

Soy-Teriyaki Sauce
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
1 teaspoon red hot pepper flakes
1 teaspoon sugar

Mix all together and pour over cooked ingredients in skillet or wok.

Sweet n Sour Sauce
1/4 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon of either rice wine vinegar, balsamic vinegar or cider vinegar
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

Mix all together and pour over cooked ingredients in skillet or wok.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment