Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Citrusy Chicken


The following recipe is actually an Eating With A original. I had leftover crushed pineapple in my fridge that would go bad if I didn't use it. I HATE wasting food so I searched the Internet for recipes containing pineapple and chicken.

I found this recipe on Allrecipes.com and felt it was an easy enough recipe to mold into something of my own.

Here is what I used:

4 boneless chicken breasts
3/4 can crushed pineapple
splash of lime juice
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
flour for dredging
salt, pepper, paprika and ground mustard in the flour for taste
cooking oil
chopped red bell pepper
chopped scallions
slivered almonds
cashews

I followed the directions of the other recipe...

1. In a bowl, combine pineapple, lime juice, lemon juice and cloves.

2. Pound chicken to 1/4 inch thickness and add to marinade.

3. Refrigerate for at least a half hour, can be left overnight if you want to cut your time in half when making this recipe.

4. Drain, reserving marinade.

5. Combine flour with all the spice/salt/etc. you want to use and dredge chicken.

6. In a skillet, add oil, scallions and bell pepper. Place chicken in skillet and brown lightly on both sides. Put everything in skillet in shallow baking dish.


7. Add reserved marinade to skillet and cook til hot and bubbly - pour over chicken.

8. Sprinkle nuts on top and bake uncovered at 400 F for 20 minutes.



The results of my concoction were mixed - my husband thought it was delicious and I thought it was too citrusy. Citrus foods sometimes bother my stomach so I wasn't a happy camper eating dinner, but my husband was. (I served it with my Creamy Mashed Cauliflower so that made me happy!)

I feel I put in too much pineapple and lemon juice and it needs something else to cut the citrus. What, I am not sure yet.

I also want to season the chicken a little more so it has some more flavor.

We have another dinner from what I made so I am going to try and take the leftovers and see if I can rework them into something with a little less of a citrus bite. Hopefully I can!!

My husband, however, wants me to just improve upon this exact recipe and keep it. We'll see, we'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment