Monday, August 30, 2010

Chicken and Stuffing...simple but tasty!


One of my favorite shows on TV is Food Network's "Chopped." If you haven't seen it - it's an elimination competition where 4 chefs are each given a mystery basket and they have to use every ingredient inside in some way while having access to a full pantry as well. In each round, the worst dish gets chopped. It's very interesting to see how a chef will incorporate a basket full of beef, almond butter and watermelon into a recipe. And that is a relatively tame basket! A lot of times there are the most random foods in there that are expected to throw the chefs for a loop. Only the most savvy chef will prevail!

Anyway, I am no where near the level that these chefs cook at, obviously. If someone handed me jicama, I would have no idea what to do with it. But my challenge is when I have a bunch of food in the house, but no set meal, and I need to figure out what I can combine to make something.

I faced that challenge the other day - we had a lot of chicken in the house, so I wanted to use that. We had various soups, rices, stuffing, pasta, etc. So I scoured the Internet again for ideas.

I found a very basic chicken and stuffing recipe that was quick enough to make and seemed tasty. So here are the ingredients:

1 (6 ounce) package of chicken-flavored stuffing mix, or any flavor you like.
6 chicken breasts (boneless and skinless)
1 can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon of parsley flakes


I ended up about 3/4 the box of stuffing and 4 chicken breasts because we didn't need as much food. I left the rest of the ingredients the same. And I also added a teaspoon of crushed red pepper flakes for a little something extra.

Directions:

Prepare stuffing according to package directions.

Once the stuffing is cooked, grease whatever baking dish you are using based on the amount of chicken you have and spoon the stuffing directly down the middle of the dish.

Arrange the chicken around the stuffing.


Combine the rest of the ingredients (soup, milk, spices) in a bowl and mix until smooth.


Pour the mixture over the chicken and some of the stuffing.



Cover and bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake 10-15 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear.

Serve with your favorite vegetable!

It's very basic and simple but it turned out to be very tasty and both my husband and I enjoyed it. Since it didn't take long to make, it's great for after work.

No comments:

Post a Comment