Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hosting Holidays


So... a few weeks ago I actually "hosted" the Yom Kippur pre-fast dinner. I use the term loosely...it was only my husband and my parents. But I had to start small - it was the first time I was making multiple courses for a dinner.

I'm not the greatest multi-tasker, as I have discussed in a past blog. I tend to burn something when I am trying to work on something else. So this was a challenge.

I did well at first...I was off on the Thursday before so I spent 6 hours that day cooking and preparing as much as possible. On that Friday, I left work at 2 and spent about 2 more hours cooking and preparing.

I had a few boo boos - I made my matzo ball soup a little too watery and cooked the balls a little too long, but they weren't burned and they were edible. Then when I was reheating my potato crusted eggplant while we were eating our soup, I left it in a little too long and it was just a little crispier than it should have been - again not burned.

Overall, my parents and husband seemed to really enjoy everything I put out for them. So, I consider the night a success.

I can't imagine though, how people host more than 4!! My husband and I always share holidays and we go to his family for Thanksgiving one year and my "family" the next. (The term family is in quotes because my family is all in Florida - we eating with out surrogate family here on Long Island - a family I grew up with so they are like my second mom and dad and sisters that I don't have). When we are with my family, it's still pretty small - usually between 10-12 people. That's still sizable though! And one of the daughters always hosts the Yom Kippur break fast with something like 25 people in her house. Granted, she caters some of that, but she still bakes/cooks at least half of the entrees and desserts.

And my husband's family Thanksgiving is NUTS. There's something around 20-25 people there as well. I can't imagine trying to prepare, cook and host that many people in my house.

Maybe one day I'll get there. But I am content to stay small at the moment - starting slowly.

Do you ever host holidays?

2 comments:

  1. Great idea to start small and work up to larger gatherings. Prep work is key, as is working up a schedule/menu to guide you through the actual cooking. Do as much in advance as possible. Learn to adjust to the inevitable changes in circumstances that occur, and don't get flustered.
    I've hosted large and small gathering, and aside from the amount of food to be prepared, feel that both types of events carry the same pressures and requirements necessary to achieve success. Above all remember that cooking is fun (but baking requires precision).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments and suggestions Ivar!!!

    ReplyDelete