Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Fancy" Ravioli



So... we had some ordinary ingredients in the house and I wanted to do something with them that was more than ordinary. We had some frozen ravioli and had purchased a package of sausage from Trader Joe's. We're not really sausage people but we like the chicken sausage from Trader Joe's.

My husband will eat almost any flavor - sweet or savory. Last time we got a spinach and cheese chicken sausage. It was OK...but I am more a sweet sausage person. I like the kind with apple in or something. This time we tried chicken sausage with mango in it and it was delicious!! Sausagey with a hint of sweetness in the end. Yum!

Anyway, I wanted to combine these two products. So I boiled up the ravioli and baked the sausage in the oven for about 10 - 15 minutes.

When they were ready, I combined the two. My husband only wanted a red sauce, so he used some jarred Marinara that we had in the house and added some crushed red pepper flakes and parsley flakes.

I tend to shy away from red sauces a lot because they sometimes hurt my stomach - so I made a simple white sauce (recipe below) and grated some fresh Parmesan on top. I also added some parsley flakes.

The result (on both ends) was delicious! It was a simple meal that I was able to put together after work in about 20-25 minutes, but I dressed it up a bit so it didn't seem so ordinary.

Hooray for quick, easy and delicious meals!!

Have you created something quick and easy from random products in your kitchen?

Here is the white sauce recipe that I used for my pasta:

3 TBSP olive oil
2 TBSP flour
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup white wine (skip this and use 1 full cup of milk if you don't want wine)
1 tsp granulated onion powder
1/2 tsp granulated garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste
1 1/2 TBSP Parmesan cheese - the bottle kind, not fresh
1/2 TBSP Italian seasoning

mix all ingredients in order of list in a saucepan over medium heat. more milk can be added if you want a thinner sauce.

1 comment:

  1. Those pictures make me want to go home and cook up the frozen sausages and ravioli I have in the freezer. Thanks for the idea. I am more of a red sauce guy, but that white sauce looks awfully tasty, too.

    ReplyDelete