Thursday, October 7, 2010

Honey Glazed Wings!


I decided to try making a tasty sauce for wings on my own. I'm not the biggest "wings" person, but I enjoy them occasionally. But not spicy or hot ones - I can't eat that kind of food at all (though my husband lives for it). I like sweet and savory wing sauces.

I found this recipe for "Candied Garlic Chicken Wings" and it looked interested but the comments said it was a little too sweet. So I modified it just slightly. Here is the recipe I used:

Ingredients

* 1 1/4 cups honey
* 6 tablespoons soy sauce
* 2 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
* a few sprinkles of crushed red pepper flakes
* 2 pounds chicken wings

Directions

1. Heat honey, soy sauce, cider, crushed red pepper flakes and garlic in a saucepan until boiling.

2. Place the wings in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch baking pan, and pour the honey mixture over the chicken. Cover with foil. Marinate in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight.

3. Bake, covered, at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 1 hour; turn the wings after 1/2 hour. Remove the foil cover, and bake for 15 minutes. Take the wings out of the sauce, and bake on a rack for 10 minutes. Turn the chicken wings, and cook for another 10 minutes.


I misread the recipe at first and made the mistake of trying to bake these after work - so we ate kinda late that night. Oops. We were starving. They came out well but they didn't have an overwhelming flavor. Yeah, they were sweet, but not sickeningly so, just didn't have a POW flavor that came at you to stand out.

Would I try wings again? Sure. Though I'll probably make a spicy batch for my husband and experiment with something else for myself.

This recipe is also good for Football Sundays - just have plenty of napkins on hand!!

No comments:

Post a Comment