Sunday, October 10, 2010

Balsamic Glazed Sweet Potatoes


Let's get one thing straight... I HATE (hated?) sweet potatoes. Never would touch them, don't like the taste of them plain.

But give them to me in the way the recipe describes and I'll eat my weight in them. The balsamic and brown sugar glaze is so delicious!

I got this recipe from my mom's best friend who is like my other family. We were over her house for Rosh Hashanah and she made this as one of the sides. As I sat at the table, shoveling piece after piece into my mouth, my husband and parents stared at me like I had 4 heads.

"I thought you didn't like sweet potatoes..." my husband commented and my mom quickly nodded in agreement. I shrugged - this recipe was super tasty.

I made them on Sunday night because we were going over to our neighbor's house for dinner - the entire bowl was demolished between the 4 of us. Success! (Thanks for the recipe Iris!)

It's pretty easy to make these - takes a little over an hour but most of that is baking time for the potatoes.

Ingredients:

6 medium sized sweet potatoes - peeled and cut lengthwise into wedges
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons butter
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F


Divide the potato wedges between 2 jelly roll pans.


In saucepan, heat sugar, vinegar, butter and salt with 1/4 cup water to a boil over high heat.

Divide mixture between 2 pans, toss with potatoes to coat.

Make sure the potatoes are spread evenly on the pans.

Roast potatoes 45 minutes until tender and the glaze is thick.

AND EAT!!! YUM!!!

The only thing I had a problem with was cutting the raw sweet potatoes. Anyone have a good way to cut these suckers? They are pretty tough.

Otherwise, these will be a staple in my house from now on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment