Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday Game Day Snack - Corn Nuggets!


I LOVE corn nuggets. LOVE LOVE LOVE. When I first saw them in a food establishment near me, I was hesitant to try them. I am not a fan of creamed corn...so I bypassed them.

But one day, something in my mind just said... TRY THE CORN NUGGETS. So I did. And fell in love with the deep fried bits of goodness. I could seriously just eat a whole plate of them for dinner and that's it.

So while my husband and I were shopping for Thanksgiving, all canned veggies were on sale and he spied creamed corn. He purchased a can for himself one night for dinner, but I had other ideas. I wanted to try and make corn nuggets.

This is what I did today. I actually tried two recipes, as one of the ones I found was getting bad reviews. But in the end - it was that one that I liked the best.

These would have been even better if I actually had a mini deep fryer... or if I made them smaller (these are like, ginormous corn nuggets) but they still tasted delicious, and they are perfect for hungry game day patrons to munch on.

The first recipe I tried was this...and my nuggets came out more like fritters and they weren't gooey and creamy inside like a corn nugget should be.


The second one I tried - the one people were hating on - was this one. The recipe wasn't flawless, and I had to make a few changes on my feet, but it came out well. The only problem was that I definitely made the nuggets too big - but they cooked up just find and had the creamy center a corn nugget should have. I will post my remedied recipe below...

Ingredients:
* 1 (11 ounce) can creamed corn
* 1 (11 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
* 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 1 egg white
* 1/2 cup milk
* salt and pepper to taste
* 3 cups vegetable oil for deep frying

Directions:

In a medium bowl, stir together the creamed corn and drained whole kernel corn.

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and coat with vegetable oil or cooking spray.

Drop spoonfuls of the corn mixture onto the sheet, and freeze until firm, about 2.5 hours.

Meanwhile, mix together the cornmeal, flour, egg white, milk, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir and refrigerate for an hour or two while the nuggets are freezing.

When the nuggets are ready, heat one inch of oil to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) in a large deep skillet, or fill a deep-fryer with oil as directed by the manufacturer.

Dip frozen corn nuggets in the batter, and quickly fry in hot oil until golden brown.


Place on paper towels to drain and dry.


I found the second recipe easier as well and I feel this is a delicious fall treat! If I had these ready early in the morning, I would have packed some in tin foil and sent them with my husband to the Giants/Jaguars game he attended today. Maybe next time he wins free club seats!!

No comments:

Post a Comment