Sunday, December 5, 2010

Sunday Game Day Snack - Pretzel Nachos!


Today's snack was all about using stuff we already have in the house...and my husband is the one who started to come up with this idea. He was probably playing off an appetizer we got at this take out place near us called Phatso's.

They had nachos that consisted of both tortilla chips and pretzels... topped with ground beef and cheese and all other kids of stuff. But the pretzels were super soggy and not really tasty once the beef and cheese were on it. We told the owner and he thanked us, told us he would change the appetizer and gave us a discount. That was awesome!

So when I called my husband after finishing my errands, he was hungry and didn't know what we had in the house. I said we had the big frozen pretzels, and when I got home, he had already started assembling the game day snack.

Here is what we used...

frozen pretzels (like Super Pretzel)
shredded cheddar cheese (both yellow and sharp white)
diced green pepper
diced onion
margarine
crushed red pepper flakes
parsley flakes
sea salt

sour cream or salsa on the side


Here is how we made them...

First we wet the pretzels and microwaved them for 55 seconds.

Then I spread a very tiny amount of margarine on, followed by sprinkles of the sea salt, crushed red pepper flakes and parsley flakes.


Next I tossed the shredded cheese on, followed by the diced peppers and onions.


I put it back in the microwave for 25 seconds.

My husband dipped his in salsa while I used sour cream.

It turned out to be a very easy and tasty snack for Sunday Football!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Why would you microwave these pretzels? Do you not own a conventional oven?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your constructive criticism! Yes, we own an oven! Super Pretzels are designed to be microwaved (directions on the box), which is why we started off that way. Yes, you can bake them. But my husband was hungry, and didn't feel like waiting for it to bake that way. This was faster and they come out just fine. One day I'm going to try to even make my own pretzels so I don't cheat with the Super Pretzels. But for now, quick and easy is good for us.

    ReplyDelete