Sunday, November 21, 2010

Chicken & Biscuits with Gravy - My "Southern" Cooking


Soooo...I am not Southern. Nope. I was born in the Northeast and have always lived in the Northeast. Well...my college WAS below the Mason Dixon line, but DC doesn't quite count. But, the other night I attempted to make a "Southern" dish, and it came out pretty tasty, if I do say so myself.

Granted, I do know if any true Southerner tried my dinner, they would give me 400 ways it could be improved upon. But my husband and I found it delicious and we were satisfied as mere Northerners.

We had a can of biscuits in the fridge that had to be used, and I recently found 1/2 pound of ground chicken tucked away in our freezer that we must have forgotten about. So, I decided to put the two together and make dinner.

As soon as I typed those two ingredients into google, of course a million biscuits and gravy results popped up. I picked this one because it looked tasty, yet simple enough to make in a short amount of time. I also know this girl took a traditional (kinda fatty) recipe and made it healthy. I like that!! :-)

This recipe will serve 2.

Ingredients:

4 fresh buttermilk biscuits, sliced
olive oil (for skillet)
ground chicken
1/4 cup flour
3/4 tsp salt for gravy.....
1/4 tsp salt for ground chicken
3/4 tsp black pepper for gravy.....
1/4 black pepper for chicken
1/4 tsp parsley flakes for gravy.....
1/2 tsp ground parsley for chicken
1 1/2 cup milk
1/8 tsp paprika
1/8 tsp brown sugar

Directions:

Ground chicken first!!

In a bowl, mix all your dry ingredients and then add the ground chicken. Mash everything together well, and put into a skillet with a little oil.

Make sure the chicken gets broken up into crumbles and cook until lightly browned - set aside.


Then make your gravy!!

Whisk all of the dry ingredients in a small bowl, then slowly whisk in the milk. Transfer the mixture to a small saucepan and heat to a simmer, whisking constantly. Once simmering, lower the heat and whisk until thick.


Put the chicken back on the heat and pour the gravy over it, mix until well combined and remove from heat.


Pour the chicken/gravy mixture over the biscuits and serve.

I changed the recipe just slightly because the girl used sage and I had none of that so I just used parsley. I also sprinkled some crushed red pepper flakes into the gravy at the end for some more flavor.

It was pretty tasty, and something different for us to do with the ground chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment