Monday, November 1, 2010

Cherry-Mango Chicken!


Well, my parents went on vacation and came back with this mango spread for my husband and I to eat...but we didn't know what to do with it.

A few days after they gave that to us, my husband and I were at a fair and bought this incredibly delicious tart cherry jam.

Once I got home - I decided to use both spreads in a chicken dish and made cherry-mango chicken!!

I decided to use chicken tenderloins instead of breasts of chicken, and I used brown rice as my base and poured the chicken and cherry-mango mixture over it.

Here is how I made my cherry-mango glaze...

Ingredients

2 tablespoons cooking oil
salt to taste
1 small onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
a few tablespoons of tart cherry jam (to taste)
a few tablespoons of mango chutney (to taste - you can also use frozen mango chunks)
2 cups Sprite
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, or to taste
2 tablespoons brown sugar

Directions

Heat the oil in a large, deep skillet over medium heat.

Sprinkle salt over both sides of each piece of chicken; cook the chicken in the hot oil until browned on both sides, but still slightly pink in the center, 3 to 5 minutes per side.

Remove chicken to a plate and set aside.

Add the onion and garlic to the remaining oil in the skillet; cook and stir until the onion is tender and beginning to brown, 5 to 7 minutes.

Stir the cherry and mango into the mixture; cook and stir until the liquid in the pan is slightly thickened, 3 to 5 minutes.

Add the Sprite, lemon juice, and brown sugar to the mixture; stir and return to a simmer.

Return the chicken to the pan. Ladle some of the sauce over the chicken to cover.


Return the mixture to a simmer and cook until the liquid thickens and the chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 10 minutes.

***Don't reduce the liquid too much-you'll want enough for serving over the chicken and rice!

The dish was decent... I am not a HUGE mango person so I probably would have just loved cherry chicken - maybe next time!!

No comments:

Post a Comment