Saturday, September 18, 2010

Marbled Stuffed Potatoes

This recipe is courtesy of the October 2010 Food Network Magazine Issue


When I saw the following recipe in my Food Network Magazine, I couldn't wait to try it out - even though I am still not a huge sweet potato fan.

Well, the result was amazing. It was SO good - and both my husband and parents agreed and gobbled it up!!

The only bad thing about this recipe is the time it takes to make it. It's definitely an hour and a half to two hour project, so it's good for a weekend day you are home or if you have a day off. You can make this at night for the next day - I made it the day before I served them and they turned out just fine!

I used these as part of the Yom Kippur pre-fast dinner I was hosting for my husband and parents because it would be a filling component for dinner and my husband was fasting the next day for the holiday. These were definitely filling!

Here are the ingredients: (this was for a serving size of 4)

4 large russet potatoes
1 large sweet potato
1/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened
2 scallions, thinly sliced
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg (I actually just used ground nutmeg I had in the spice cabinet)
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Put the russet and sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack and bake 30 minutes.

Pierce each potato a few times with a fork and continue to bake until tender, 15 to 20 more minutes for the sweet potato and 20 to 25 more minutes for the russet potatoes. Let cool slightly.

Peel the sweet potato. Transfer to a bowl and mash lightly with a fork until almost smooth.

Trim a thin slice off the top of each russet potato, cutting lengthwise. Scoop most of the flesh into another bowl, leaving the shells intact.


Add the sour cream and butter to the russet potato bowl and mash with a fork. Stir in the scallions, 1/2 cup cheese, the nutmeg, 1 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste.

Gently fold in the sweet potato.


Brush the potato skins with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.

Generously fill with the marbled potato mixture and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese.

Reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F. Place the stuffed potatoes on a baking sheet and bake until the cheese melts, 25 to 30 minutes.



Since I made these the day before I was serving them, I actually only baked them for about 22 minutes and then let them cool. I put them in a covered tupperware and refrigerated them overnight. When it came time to serve them, I stuck them in the oven at 375 for about 20 minutes until hot. I was worried they would get dry but they didn't due to the cheese and sour cream in the stuffing portion.

I also ended up having too much stuffing so I set it aside in another tupperware for us to eat as mashed potatoes one day!!

One change I made was using freshly grated Parmesan cheese instead of cheddar cheese. I was using a lot of Parmesan in other foods I was making for Yom Kippur dinner so I wasn't to keep it consistent and I thought the taste would mesh well. It did!!

I know these are a lot of work but I honestly can't tell you how delicious they are - coming from someone who never liked sweet potatoes and is just now starting to eat them in certain forms.

I give this a thumbs up and encourage you all to try it one day when you have some extra time. It's worth it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment