Friday, September 24, 2010

Crispy Pretzel Coated Chicken


The following recipe was actually a suggestion from my friend Lynda. When she read my honey mustard and apple chicken post the other day, she said it reminded her of this delicious chicken recipe that she got from the EatBetterAmerica.com website.

It definitely sounded interesting so I added it to my list of recipes for my Yom Kippur dinner last week. My parents and husband ended up really enjoying the way this chicken was prepared. So, thanks Lynda!! It was a great recipe and also a huge success here.

It's also really easy to make and doesn't take much time at all. Try it out!

I also know that Lynda sometimes uses half honey mustard and half spicy mustard to give this a little zing.


Prep Time:10 min
Start to Finish:30 min
makes:4 servings (I used a little more of each ingredient to cook 6 chicken breasts)

Ingredients:

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons honey mustard
1 1/2 cups mini pretzels, crushed (about 1 cup)
1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed (I just used thyme I have in a spice jar)
Nonstick olive oil cooking spray

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425ºF.

Using the flat side of a meat mallet, gently pound chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap just until even thickness.

Place egg whites and mustard in a shallow dish; beat with a fork to mix.

In a larger shallow dish, combine crushed pretzels, cheese, and thyme.


Dip chicken into the egg white mixture. Press into crumb mixture to coat.


Place chicken in a single layer on an ungreased foil-lined baking sheet.

Sprinkle chicken with any remaining crumb mixture and press lightly. Coat with cooking spray.


Bake chicken, uncovered, for 14 to 18 minutes or until no longer pink (170°F).

The recipe is also good if you have leftovers - it definitely keeps for a day and crisps back up in the oven.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment