Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tropical Cheese Ball Recipe!


The other day, one of my good friends sent me a message saying that she needed appetizer ideas for a Games Night event she attends where there are about 200 people or so milling about. It's a pot luck event and everyone is in charge of appetizer, main course, dessert, etc. My friend got appetizers this time around.

She is a fantastic cook, and baker, but she needed ideas because the theme was Florida! So she needed an appetizer fitting for that sunny theme. I only had one I could give her that I made - the Surf Dogs I made back in July for a block party. But I went trolling on the Internet for ideas.

Another friend of ours suggested chicken skewers with an orange glaze, since oranges are big in Florida, but I think my friend wanted something a little different. I stumbled across a recipe for a pineapple cheese ball, and I jokingly told her to make it and call it a Little Ray of Sunshine. (I don't think she did, but she did make the recipe!)

Her report back to me was the following: "I wasn't a huge fan of the cheese ball, but most other people said it was awesome."

Well, good! Not all tastes are good for everyone, but at least this wasn't a failure recipe, and people liked what she brought. Good job, friend!

Here is the recipe I sent to her:

Ingredients

2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
1 package ranch dressing mix
1 can small pineapple, crushed
2 green onions
1/4 cup cheese, shredded, Jack or Colby

Directions

Mix the package of ranch dressing mix with the softened cream cheese until well mixed.

Then add 1/2 can of crushed pineapple, (no juice), the 2 stalks of green onion chopped and the shredded cheese.

Mix well and cool in the fridge for 20 minutes.

Turn out onto a cheese board or platter. Mound it in the center and shape into a ball with a spoon.

If you like, you can cover the ball with sliced almonds, sprinkle with dill weed, parsley or paprika.

Chill completely before serving.

I know she wanted something simple and easy to make, and this seems pretty easy. She didn't tell me how long it took her to put together, but I can't imagine the active time would be too long. Just allow some ample time for cooling.

Maybe I'll try this one out myself one of these days!


(PS - the picture was borrowed from Google Images, as I did not make this myself and do not have my own picture. Thanks to the photographer!)

No comments:

Post a Comment