Monday, March 7, 2011

A's First Bread!! Beer Bread with a Hint of Lime!


I found a recipe for homemade bread in under an hour in the USA Weekend circular that come with my Sunday paper and I just HAD to try it. I never made bread before, and this looked easy enough, plus I had all of the ingredients in the house.

The beer we had was Bud Light Lime, which I thought would bring a nice tang to the bread. So I set out to make the following recipe - but I halved it, just in case.

Ingredients:

3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3 TBS sugar
1 TB baking powder
1 1/2 tsps salt
12 ounces of beer
1 egg, beaten


Directions:

Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.

Add beer and stir with a fork until just combined.


Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead quickly to form a ball.

Place bread on a baking sheet and confidently slit an X on top with a serrated or very sharp knife.


Brush loaf with egg wash.

Bake until golden brown, about 45 minutes. Transfer to wire rack to cool.

The full recipe yields 12.

My husband and I both really enjoyed the bread, and I am so happy it came out looking pretty and tasting good!

It really was easy, and I will definitely be looking for more quick bread recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment