Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Steak & Mushroom Florentine


Steak & Mushroom Florentine...sounds fancy, right? Well, it could be, but it was a Campbell's recipe I found a little over a year ago, before I started the blog. I hadn't made it again, simply because the recipe got buried in the pile of printed recipes in the cabinet, but it was really good. The spinach part is so deliciously creamy and smooth - we saved some reserve to eat over pasta or rice!!

Anyway, I'm posting it now - and then it will be written up on a recipe card and placed into the nice recipe binder someone gave me as a housewarming gift a long, long time ago!

If I remember...the recipe said prep time is 15 minutes and cook time is 20...I think it took me a little longer than that because I had to chop some ingredients. I think this recipe is good for someone home a few hours before dinner time and can properly prepare, or for a weekend.

I also left out the tomato in the recipe because, well, I do not like tomatoes! I also used frozen chopped spinach (which is always on standby in the freezer) instead of fresh baby spinach leaves.

Now, the recipe...

Ingredients:


2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 LB beef sirloin steak or beef top round steak, 3/4-inch thick, cut into thin strips
1 small onion, sliced (about 1/4 cup)
4 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup
1 cup water
1 large tomato, thickly sliced
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions:

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat.

Add the beef and cook until well browned, stirring often. Remove the beef from the skillet. Pour off any fat.

Heat the remaining oil in the skillet over medium heat.

Add the onion and cook until tender-crisp. Add the spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted (or warmed through if using frozen).

Stir the soup and water in the skillet and heat to a boil. Return the beef to the skillet.

Reduce the heat to low. Cook until the beef is cooked through. Serve the beef mixture over the tomato. Season with the black pepper.

**Serving Suggestion: Serve with hot cooked whole-grain egg noodles. (That was from the actual recipe...I served mine with rice pilaf and a side of french cut green beans! Yum!)

No comments:

Post a Comment