Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Different Kind of Sloppy Joe


My husband really likes sloppy joes. I, do not. In fact, I had them once in my life when he made me try them a few years ago. So, unfortunately for him, we have not eaten them since.

Until this past week. In looking for recipes to use my ground chicken with, I came across what someone called “Fancy Joes,” and decided to give it one more try.

I have to admit – it wasn’t that bad. I think the rice component had a lot to do with why I could tolerate it more, and it wasn’t dripping with sauce, which I liked as well.

The recipe was very easy to prepare and I would definitely make it again. Here it is…

Ingredients:

1 pound ground chicken or turkey
1 large onion, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
2 (15 ounce) cans sloppy joe sauce
3 cups cooked rice
8 English muffins, split and toasted


Directions:

In a large skillet, cook the chicken, onion and pepper over medium heat until chicken is no longer pink – then drain.


Stir in the sloppy joe sauce and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.

Stir in the rice and cook 5 minutes longer or until heated through.


Spoon 1 cup on each English muffin.

The recipe above yields 8. I halved it, as usual, so we had more than enough for two nights. I also used orange, yellow and red peppers, in addition to green, because I had a frozen chopped mix from Trader Joe’s, which comes in handy for recipes like this one.

I could also see making this for a game day during football season!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment