Saturday, April 23, 2011

Sweet Potato Sauce on Grilled Chicken


Sometimes I get this e-mail from cooking.com with different recipes due to whatever ingredient they pick for the day. One day it was chicken, and one of the recipes was a chicken with a sweet potato sauce. It sounded really interesting, and despite me really only finding one way to enjoy sweet potatoes, I figured I'd give it a go.

Well, let me tell you - the sauce was soooooooooooo delicious!! I think I made mine a little too thick, but instead of correcting it per recipe instructions, I kept it that way. It was sort of like a creamy mashed cauliflower consistency and it tasted really good. Plus it was filling!

I definitely would make the sweet potato part on its own for a side dish. That was the part that really made the meal...the rest was seriously just a piece of grilled chicken - nothing special.

So, here is the recipe... I actually made it a while ago, but haven't posted in a bit because I was 1) lazy (sorry, Melissa), and 2) I didn't cook over Passover at all so I had nothing else to post. I should be starting too cook again this week.

I didn't change the recipe much...instead of apple cider, I used apple juice. And instead of mace, I used nutmeg, which is pretty much the same thing and totally interchangeable (I looked it up online!). I also omitted the celery (I hate it) and used dried parsley instead of fresh, so you always use like, 1/3 of the fresh ingredient if using dry.

It did take me a while to make this, so it's not a quick after work meal.

Enjoy!!

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 cup finely chopped celery
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground mace (or nutmeg)
1/8 cup honey
2 cups chopped peeled sweet potato
1 cup apple cider
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
2 chicken breasts, skinned, boned, and split
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup diced red bell pepper

DIRECTIONS

In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil.

Add the celery and onion and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring, until softened.

Add the cinnamon and mace and stir to distribute. Stir in the honey and sweet potato. Add the cider and chicken stock. Bring to boil over high heat, then lower to medium heat and cook for 30 minutes.


Puree the mixture in a food processor. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. If the sauce is too thin, place in a saucepan and cook it down over medium heat until the sauce is the desired consistency. If the sauce is too thick, add more chicken stock and heat through. Set the sauce aside.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Preheat a stovetop grill or rigid frying pan.

Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper. When the grill of frying pan is very hot, grill the chicken breasts for 3 minutes on each side. Then, remove them to a baking pan and place them in an oven for 10 minutes, or until they're finally cooked. (If the breasts are thin enough, they can be cooked entirely on the grill, about 5 minutes on each side. A charcoal grill or regular cast-iron skillet may also be used.)

To Serve, pour some sauce on each of 4 plates and sprinkle with pecans, parsley, and red bell pepper. Place the cooked chicken over the sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment