Monday, April 18, 2011

Passover Product Review


I just wanted to give a quick run-down of the Passover products my husband and I have tried out and what we like and don't like. I have to say, Passover food has come a long way. There are many more options than there used to be, so it would make one think they can survive the week without their favorite leavened foods or non Kosher for Passover products. Well...maybe. But, there are some good things, and some awful things, as with anything.

My husband and I always raid the Passover aisles of the supermarkets around us as soon as Passover ends because everything goes on clearance and we tuck it away for the following year. It makes it cheaper (the food is expensive!) and if you still have a valid coupon, that's even more of a bonus.


One of our favorite things comes from Manischewitz - their Coffee Cake mix! This is actually really good. It tastes like, gasp, a real coffee cake that is made with real flour and stuff. This is the second year we have it in the house and it definitely provides a much needed snack that doesn't taste like cardboard. We also have a box of the marble cake that we haven't baked yet - hopefully it tastes as good!! I would totally also eat this for breakfast. It costs about $4.99, but again, we buy it on clearance and save it for the next year, so we usually get at least 50-75% off it.


Next up, Gefen's Kosher for Passover Ziti. Last year when I saw this box left in the Passover aisle, I jumped on it. Could it be? PASTA for PASSOVER?? I was so excited. We took it home and put it away in our little Passover products area and pulled it out this year. There is a recipe on the box for a pasta bake, which looked decent enough, but last night we just simply made plain pasta. With 2 (early) Seders already under our belt and another coming up later today, we simply were just too tired after work to do much more than make something simple. (yes, we started Passover 2 days early... fun times).

The pasta wasn't terrible. It's chewier than regular pasta and it doesn't have much of any kind of taste. My husband dressed his with tomato sauce, red pepper flakes, parsley and a little Parmesan cheese. I used some melted margarine, red pepper flakes, parsley and Parmesan. All in all, not too bad. I'd buy this product again and maybe do something fancier with it in the future.

The last product I am going to talk about is Savion's Crispy-O's, regular flavor. TALK ABOUT ICK. The regular flavor, at least, is sort of a weird matzo taste that turns to mush in milk. It was very off-putting. I suffered through a bowl. My pet gerbils, however, really enjoyed their Passover meal of Crispy-O's. My husband will finish the box, but I'd rather have matzo with jelly or something for breakfast. Or an egg. Or anything else. These were NASTY (in my opinion). I think they make some other flavors, but this is the only one we saw on sale this year that we bought on a whim to try. Never again.

I'm curious to see what little finds we pick up at the end of this Passover. Hopefully something decent!

No comments:

Post a Comment