Sunday, April 24, 2011

Steak 'n Potato Pockets!


My recipe today was inspired by a recipe I found on AllRecipes.com for "English Pasties." What are "pasties" you ask? Well, this is what the recipe description said:

"Pasties - which are meat-filled turnovers - came from England along with the Cornish who settled in America. Years ago, miners and woodsmen throughout the Midwest relished having these pasties in their lunch boxes."

Hmmm...

Well, I had originally been looking for recipes that included both steak and potatoes. I had opened a can of canned potatoes to use in another recipe, and I had a bunch leftover. I hate wasting food, so I needed to use them before they went bad. That is when I stumbled upon this recipe here.

It seemed interesting so I decided to make something loosely based off it. I used our last can of crescent rolls we had lying around the house instead of making my own dough, and added some cut up bell peppers to the mix. The result was sort of a homemade Hot Pocket, but it tasted really good and was definitely a nice and filling dinner.

My creation was very easy to make and didn't take all that long either. It also held together well overnight so we could eat it the next night. To reheat, I popped it back in the oven for a bit instead of nuking it in the microwave and it was just fine.

Ingredients I used:

2 sandwich steaks - sliced
Peter Luger's Steak Sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
Sliced Bell Peppers
Chopped Onion
1 package of Crescent Rolls
1/2 cup Sharp White Cheddar Cheese - shredded
diced canned potatoes - about 1/2 cup
1 egg, lightly beaten and mixed with water

Directions:

Marinate the sliced steak in the steak sauce and Worcestershire sauce for at least a half hour.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Put a drop of olive oil in a pan and saute the peppers, potatoes and onions. Remove from pan - add steak to pan and saute for a few minutes until no longer raw.


Lay out the crescent rolls into 4 rectangles - seal any loose seams together by pinching it.

On top of 2 rectangles, lay down beef and vegetable mixture. Top with shredded cheese. Place remaining 2 rectangles over and seal the edges.


Using the egg-wash, brush over the "pockets" and sprinkle a garnish over the top if you wish. I used parsley.

Crimp edges with a form if you want that look, but this is not necessary.

Cook in pre-heated oven for about 15-20 minutes, until top is golden brown.

Serve warm and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Argh!!! As a Cornish woman who was brought up on proper pasties, I was horrified by the recipe you said inspired you. Nothing against your version, but neither yours nor the original are anything like a proper pasty, which is made from the cheapest cut of meat possible. (traditionally, probably skirt as the cheapest cut), very finely sliced potatoes, turnips (the orange ones that some people call swedes) and onions. This is a more authentic recipe: http://www.cornishlight.co.uk/cornish-pasty.htm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...I am sorry you were offended by just to be clear...I was not making "English Pasties." I stumbled across a recipe that was called English Pasties on another website and it simply inspired me to create something loosely based on it. You can see, I called my meal "pockets." Thank you for including a link to a more authentic recipe, and again, I hope you understand I was not making my own pasties. I made pockets using an idea.

    ReplyDelete