Thursday, July 21, 2011

Sweets and Beets - giving it another try!


So I still had 1 rather large beet left from when we purchased beets to try and I decided to make the beet pierogies. My husband and I are trying this new thing now where we don't throw out unused food, so I knew I had to use it. And I wanted to give beets one more shot since I wasn't sure if I even liked them. I don't know what I was expecting, but after many positive responses on my facebook inquiry as to if people like beets, and only one no, I thought I would like them. Unfortunately, I think I am in the no category.

Since I also had 1 rather large sweet potato left too, I used this recipe that I found on Allrecipes.com by "drumnwrite." I didn't alter the recipe at all, except to halve it since I didn't need to make so much.

I LOVED the sweet potato part - the beet part I could take or leave. I honestly don't think beets are disgusting...I just don't think I would buy them and use them because the taste is just so-so to me. But if you like beets, you will like this recipe. My husband said the beet part grew on him and he really enjoyed it. (I just shoveled the beets in my mouth as fast as I could first and then enjoyed the remaining sweet potatoes!)

This recipe is also very, very easy to make. Enjoy!

Ingredients: (full recipe from original poster)

6 medium beets, peeled and cut into chunks
2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
1 large sweet onion, chopped

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

In a bowl, toss the beets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.

Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large resealable plastic bag.

Place the sweet potatoes and onion in the bag. Seal bag, and shake to coat vegetables with the oil mixture.

Bake beets 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Mix sweet potato mixture with the beets on the baking sheet. Continue baking 45 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.

This full recipe serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment