Tuesday, July 19, 2011

SOPP Stir Fry! (Sausage, Onions, Potatoes and Peppers!)


Last night I made a stir fry that my husband and I truly enjoyed. I don't remember how I came across this recipe on Allrecipes.com, by "cowboysjenn," but it looked interesting enough to try.

I did make it my own, however, by adding some spice and marinade to jazz it up a bit. It looked delicious on its own but I just felt it needed something to tie it together. Plus my husband and I really like flavor!! So the recipe below is my version - if you don't like spice or marinade, or can't eat it that way, refer to the original recipe in the link above.

Besides being incredibly tasty, this recipe is very easy to make. I also used 6 of those smaller red potatoes instead of 6 baking potatoes and we had plenty for the 2 of us - enough for 2 nights. Also, I only used 1 pepper, a half an onion and 2 and a half links of sausage - no where near the amount of what the original chef used. I could see using the bigger amounts of ingredients if you need to feed 8 people.

We used Trader Joe's chicken and sweet apple sausage. We love their chicken sausages - though my favorite is the mango chicken one.

From chopping to cooking, I think this whole thing took maybe a half hour to make. We ate it over some whole wheat cous cous, but for leftovers, we are going to make heroes!

The recipe is versatile in the type of sausage you like and what kind of seasonings you'd want to use, so experiment and try it out! I know my combination was very enjoyable in my house!

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
6 small - medium red potatoes - peeled (if desired) and cubed
2 1/2 links Trader Joe's Chicken & Sweet Apple Sausage, sliced
1/2 onion, sliced or chopped (I chopped it)
1 bell pepper mix, chopped (I used the Trader Joe's frozen pack of red, orange, green and yellow peppers, equivalent of 1 bell pepper)
salt
black pepper
garlic powder
Worcestershire sauce
Teriyaki Sauce
sugar


Directions:

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.

Place the potatoes in the skillet. Add salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.

Cover and simmer, turning occasionally, until potatoes are almost tender and a little browned, about 10 minutes.


Stir in the sausage, onion and peppers.

Cover and cook for about 5 more minutes, or until onion and peppers are to desired tenderness.

Mix at least a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce, a teaspoon of Teriyaki sauce and dash of sugar together for a very tiny amount of marinade - just enough to flavor the stir fry barely. Use more if you want it more saucy.

Stir the sauce in last and serve warm.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment