Monday, July 18, 2011

Mini Limeade Sandwich Sugar Cookies


I am very proud of the cookies I made this afternoon. I am proud of the surprising taste they have (much better than I anticipated), and the fact that I made a sugar cookie dough and it worked.

The cookies have a lime twist for the sheer fact that my husband and I bought a bottle of Simply Limeade a few weeks back because we had a coupon. The drink is ok...we just don't LOVE it. Determined not to waste the whole bottle, I have been searching for recipes using lime juice and then I figured I would just substitute using the lime juice with limeade. And it worked for this recipe!!

The lime icing is not as tart as it would be using actual lime juice, and I think that is why I like this cookie. I found this recipe here on AllRecipes.com. The only change I really made was using the Simply Limeade instead of lime juice, and making mini cookies instead of big ones. I also halved the recipe.

The process actually turned out easier than I thought when making the dough, and the cookies baked up quickly. 10 minutes of cooling and they were reading for icing, 5 minutes after that - ready to eat!

These are delicious cookies for the summer - nice and refreshing. These are great for BBQ's and picnics. Try them out!!

I am posting the recipe with my substitution, but posting the entire recipe - not the measurements for the halved recipe I did.

Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
5 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

For Icing:
2 teaspoons Simply Limeade
1 tablespoon milk**
2 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 drops green food color

** You can use water instead of milk)

Directions:

In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla.

Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture until well blended.

Cover or wrap dough, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. If you are in a big hurry, freeze for a half hour.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/4 inch in thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. (It looks like the original poster on AllRecipes.com used stars - I did mini circles!)

Place cookies 1 1/2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake for 7 to 8 minutes in the preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

For the frosting: In a medium bowl, whisk the Limeade, milk, confectioners' sugar and green food color until smooth and creamy.


Add more milk or sugar if necessary to achieve a good spreading consistency.

When cookies are completely cool, spread icing between cookies to make sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment