Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Spaghetti Pie


Over the July 4th weekend, my husband and I were going to go to our neighbors house for a small cook-out with just the 4 of us, relaxing in the backyard, BBQ'ing a little and playing in their new pool. I told my neighbor I would bring some side dishes.

Well, that didn't work out - something came up and they had to cancel. We were bummed. I had already started making this dish to bring over, but it wasn't a huge loss since my husband and I would be able to eat it for dinner that week.

The recipe seemed interesting enough, and didn't seem like it would take too long or be that difficult to make. The latter two points are still true and the recipe is okay...but to me, it needed a sauce or something. Maybe I baked it a little too long, but it seemed dry. I could definitely see adding a sauce into the mix because when we ate it, we dipped the pieces into sauce and it tasted 100x better.

I could see using different spices or ingredients. I left out the ham from the original recipe here, and I added in some peas.

I also left out the chives since I didn't have any and added in some regular onion instead, and used thyme instead of dill weed.

I definitely want to try and improve on this recipe and make it better, so I am not giving up on it yet!!

Ingredients:

CRUST:
2 eggs
1 (7 ounce) package spaghetti, cooked and drained
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons butter, melted
FILLING:
1 (10 ounce) package frozen asparagus spears, thawed and cut into 1-inch pieces
1 (4.5 ounce) jar sliced mushrooms, drained
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
2 eggs
1/2 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon thyme
1 tablespoon minced onions
1/4 cup frozen peas

Directions:

In a large bowl, beat eggs; add the spaghetti, Parmesan cheese and butter; mix well.

Press onto the bottom and up the sides of a greased 10-in. pie plate.

Combine peas, onion, asparagus and mushrooms; spoon into crust. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese.


Beat eggs, sour cream and thyme; pour over cheese.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 35-40 minutes or until crust is set and center is lightly browned.

Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment