Monday, July 4, 2011

Parsnip Pancakes


So this week's new adventure was the parsnip. I am not sure what made me pick it, but I said to my husband, "let's try parsnips." He agreed and we bought a pound at the supermarket.

We knew form all the cooking shows we watch that people make a puree with them...but I searched my favorite recipe website anyway, and came across this recipe. It was definitely something my husband and I would eat, since we are huge fans of potato pancakes, plus it seemed really easy.

I followed the recipe for the most part, I just substituted the chives with cilantro because I am currently growing cilantro, but had no chives in the house. I also added some salt and pepper to the "batter" because I just knew it was going to need something.

My husband really enjoyed this recipe, and I thought it was pretty good as well. I was hesitant because the parsnip smelled like a carrot, and I am not the biggest carrot fan, especially cooked carrots. But the pancake made it pretty good, and I am curious to see if I would eat a parsnip any other way.

Peeling the parsnips were really easy and it was a snap to get all the ingredients together and cooking. We'll do this again!

Here is the recipe with my additions, see the link above for the original recipe.

Ingredients

1 pound parsnips, peeled
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of black pepper
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 tablespoon minced cilantro

Directions

Place parsnips in a large saucepan and cover with water; add salt.

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender.

Drain and place parsnips in a large bowl; mash. Stir in the onion, flour, egg, salt, pepper and cilantro.

Drop batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a well-greased hot griddle.

Flatten with a spatula. Fry until golden brown; turn and cook until second side is lightly browned.

Drain on paper towels.

1 comment:

  1. I really like parsnips in a lentil stew I make. I switch them with carrots in it. I often do the same when I roast a chicken. I do either a combo of parsnips and carrots with the potatoes and onions or I do no carrots. I will try this pancake recipe sometime! (This is Joscelynn, BTW. I'm not sure why, but this is going to post with my husband's name.)

    ReplyDelete