Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Asian Grilled Eggplant


Going along with my grilled sweet potatoes on Memorial Day, my husband and I also grilled an eggplant. We had purchased an eggplant the weekend before, and didn't use it last week, so we knew we had to use it before it went bad.

My husband will eat eggplant almost any way, I am a little more picky about how it is prepared. Normally I don't like grilled eggplant in something like balsamic vinegar, but I searched around for a recipe I might enjoy.

So I found one for Asian Grilled Eggplant on GroupRecipes.com. The original poster suggested adding crushed red pepper flakes for more of a kick, but I left those out this time. I am sure my husband would have enjoyed that. (To be honest, I just noticed that as I went back to check the recipe - didn't see that tip the first time!)

The recipe claims it takes 10 minutes to make, but from start to finish - just a little longer. Probably a half hour total with slicing the eggplant, letting it rest with the salt and preparing the ingredients. Maybe 35 with putting it on the grill - I sliced it rather thin so it cooked up quickly!!

We'll be making this again as well. Happy grilling!

Ingredients:

2 medium eggplants
Kosher salt

Marinade:
* 1/4 cup soy sauce
* 3 tablespoons brown sugar
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
* 1 teaspoon sesame oil
* 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
* 3 cloves minced garlic

Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl.

Directions:

Preheat an outdoor grill to medium heat.

Slice eggplant into 1/2-inch-thick slices.

Sprinkle with salt and let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.

Pour marinade over eggplant and let stand for at least 10 minutes in the refrigerator.

Remove from marinade and place eggplant on grill, cook until eggplant is cooked through and lightly browned on all sides, about 10 minutes.

Remove from grill.

No comments:

Post a Comment