Monday, May 30, 2011

Grilled Sweet Potatoes!


It's grillin' time!! Summer is (almost) here, but grilling season was kicked off this past holiday weekend. We finally dug our grill out from last July, surprisingly, since my husband is our main griller and he had major shoulder surgery last July, and couldn't grill for the rest of the summer. Luckily it still worked after a harsh, snowy winter (it better, since we bought it last year!), and we planned a little Memorial Day feast for the two of us.

One of the things we grilled up were some sweet potatoes, which are quickly growing on me the more I eat them. I used the seasoning inspiration from Mr. Bobby Flay's recipe here, but I did the base preparation a different way. I also used a mixture of honey mustard and yellow mustard since we were out of the honey Dijon I usually keep in the house. Next time I might just use the yellow mustard, or make sure I have a Dijon because the honey mustard paired with the maple syrup did get a little sweet if you ate too many potatoes. I also added a dash of cinnamon to the base mixture, but literally just a pinch.

The result? DELICIOUS!! They were nice and tender with an amazing taste. My husband and I both really enjoyed them, and he is already asking me to make these again.

This recipe was very easy, but took about 40 minutes total time from start to finish. We used a grill pan instead of placing the sweet potato circles directly on the grill.

These are definitely here to stay in our family!

Ingredients:

2-3 sweet potatoes, either cut into wedges or into circles 3/4" thick (I cut mine into circles)
canola or olive oil for brushing
kosher salt & black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 to 3 tablespoons of mustard (Dijon recommended in original recipe, I used 1 tbl honey mustard, 1 tbl yellow mustard)
pinch of cinnamon
1 tablespoon of poultry rub


Directions:

Cut sweet potatoes into 3/4 inch slices (or length-wise wedges).

Bring 3 quarts of water to a boil and add potatoes. Boil until potatoes are just starting to soften.

Cool and peal.

Brush the potato wedges with oil and season with rub, pinch of cinnamon salt and pepper.

Grill, turning once, until nicely marked.

Whisk the syrup with the mustard.

Brush the potatoes with the glaze and turn a few times to caramelize. <-- My husband and I used this marinating tool we got from Pampered Chef for my bridal shower and it worked so well!! Probably one of the best grilling tools we own.

Serve warm and enjoy - this is a fantastic grill recipe.

Happy unofficial summer, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment