Sunday, January 23, 2011

Another Steak Dinner from the Eating With A Steakhouse


My husband and I took a trip to a butcher this past weekend. I can't remember the last time I stepped into a butcher! My parents used to take to one when I was little, but since I've been cooking for myself, it's been supermarket meat.

That changed when we did one of the many deals popping up on the Internet through things like Groupon, Living Social, etc. There was one though Valpak for the same butcher my parents used to take me to while growing up, so we decided to get it and treat ourselves to a nicer steak for once. The deal was spending $10 and getting $20 worth of food. Yay!

So we took a drive to where I grew up (a whole 4 miles down the road) and stopped into the butcher. First we picked out a nice skirt steak, and then we had a little leftover so we also got my husband a rack of ribs to eat one night for dinner and me a container of mushroom barley soup - my favorite! We ending up spending around $6 extra, but definitely not a big deal. All of that food for $16 isn't too shabby, especially since the soup was buy one get one free!

We decided to do something different with the steak instead of just marinating and cooking it and we settled on some sort of roll up. I got the idea to use the frozen asparagus we purchased from Trader Joes, and my husband wanted to use some sort of cheese. And thus our dinner was born...

Here are the ingredients we used:

2 pieces of skirt steak (you can pound it a little flatter too)
Peter Luger's Steak Sauce
Splash of Worcestershire sauce
salt & pepper to taste
asparagus (we used Grilled frozen Asparagus from Trader Joes but you can also use fresh)
provolone cheese

Here is what we did:

First I marinated the skirt steak in a glass bowl for an hour with the Peter Luger's and Worcestershire sauce.

Then I laid out the pieces of steak and cut them in half so I would ultimately make 4 rolls.


In the middle of each piece of steak I put a little provolone cheese and a few pieces of asparagus.


Then I rolled them up and secured them with a toothpick. Once rolled, we sprinkled some salt and pepper on all sides of the roll for some extra taste.

I heated some oil in a grill pan on the stove and seared the rolls for a few minutes on each side.


Then I put the grill pan into the oven at 350 degrees F and let them cook off for another 10-12 minutes, or until the desired "doneness." We are fans of steak cooked to medium or medium well.

We ate our steak dinner with a side of mashed cauliflower and steamed mixed vegetables. Delicious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment