Monday, February 28, 2011

Supreme Chicken...Tenders!!


Continuing in my posts with recipes containing half & half (this is the last one, I swear!), my next dish is a chicken dish that I found on AllRecipes.com. It looked tasty to me, but contained some mushrooms. I love mushrooms, but my husband doesn't, so I was surprised when he picked this recipe out of 6 possible choices for me to make. Okay, hey, I'll go with it! Maybe his taste buds changed. Rumor has it they change every 7 years.

Anyway, so this recipe looked pretty tasty. I used chicken tenders because well, that's what I had frozen in the house, but the recipe actually called for chicken breasts. It was a very easy recipe and turned out to be very tasty!

It took me probably about 45 minutes to make from start to finish - it cooked more quickly than the recipe states because I was using the tenders and not thick breasts. So it is doable for after work during the week, but can also be made ahead and saved for another night.

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

* 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
* 1 teaspoon paprika
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
* 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 6 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
* 1/4 cup butter
* 2 tablespoons water
* 1 1/4 cups half-and-half
* 6 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
* 1 tablespoon lemon juice
* 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese


Directions:

In a shallow dish or bowl, combine 4 tablespoons flour, paprika, 1 teaspoon salt and pepper.

Coat chicken with the flour mixture.

In a large skillet, brown the coated chicken in 1/4 cup of butter or margarine. Add the water, cover and let simmer covered for 25 to 30 minutes.


Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

When chicken is done simmering, remove from the skillet and place in a 9x13 inch baking dish; save drippings.

Combine remaining 2 tablespoons flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt and half-and-half.

Mix together and stir mixture into reserved drippings in skillet. Bring to a simmer, stirring, and cook until thick and bubbly.

Add mushrooms and lemon juice and stir together. Pour sauce over chicken and bake uncovered in the preheated oven for 30 minutes


Sprinkle with cheese and bake 3-5 minutes more until cheese melts.

Serve hot and enjoy!!

Sounds like a great recipe to put over some rice!

No comments:

Post a Comment