Sunday, February 27, 2011

Homemade Cream of Asparagus Soup!


Well, my husband had bought a whole bunch of ingredients to make homemade ice cream with a while back, including a bunch of half & half. He only made one batch of ice cream, so we had a lot of half & half left over.

I HATE wasting food and just throwing it out...so I started looking for recipes using half & half. The recipe I made the other day with the artichoke ravioli came to me in my food network magazine...but I went trolling online to find some more.

One recipe I found on AllRecipes.com was for Cream of Asparagus Soup. I just had some on the cruise we took a few weeks ago, so I thought, why not?

The difference between the soup I had on the cruise was that the asparagus was pureed and this one actually left the asparagus in the mixture whole. But, it was DELICIOUS!! We wolfed it down on Sunday night. And, it was so easy!! Bonus!!

The original recipe (here) uses fresh asparagus. I cheated and used frozen grilled asparagus I bought at Trader Joes, but it was still delicious. :-)

I halved the recipe because we didn't have a lot of half & half left after some other recipes I made. It also probably took maybe 25 minutes total - nice and quick! The recipe I am posting is for the full recipe, serves about 6.


Ingredients:

* 1 pound frozen asparagus
* 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
* 1/4 cup margarine
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup half-and-half
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper


Directions:

Cut asparagus into one inch pieces.

In a medium skillet over medium high heat, saute the asparagus in 1 cup of the broth for about 7 minutes, or until tender.


In a large saucepan over medium high heat, melt the butter or margarine and remove from heat.

Add the flour and stir well until smooth.

Gradually add the remaining 2 1/2 cups broth. Return the saucepan to the heat and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened.

Add the half-and-half, salt, pepper and cooked asparagus with liquid. Stir well and heat thoroughly.


Serve hot and enjoy!

I can also see using this recipe as a sauce over pasta or chicken. It's very versatile!

No comments:

Post a Comment