Monday, July 26, 2010

Tie Dyed Cake



I once saw an idea online for a rainbow cake. it was awesome - had 6 different colors all swirled together like a tie-dyed T-shirt. I loved it. I couldn't get it out of my mind. I HAD to make a cake like that.

After researching how it was done, I decided to only use 2 colors plus the white of the cake. I chose 2 colors because we only HAD 2 colors of food gel in the house. They were orange and blue. Orange, blue and white cake.

Because my husband is a die-hard Mets fan (why? I don't know. They suck!), I decided to make him a Mets cake.

I got a lot of sh*t from my friends after I posted my finished product on Facebook. Most were insults on how the Mets suck.. okay fine. But a lot of people told me that the cake looked gross or weird.

I was shocked. Why would a tie-dyed cake be gross? Or weird? I thought it was cool! But whatever, I stood by my cake and my husband loved it. I ended up icing the entire cake in white icing so you only saw the colors when you cut into it.

It turned out to be pretty easy to get a swirled effect. Simply divide up the batter into even portions for however many colors you are doing. Since I had 3, I placed the batter into 3 bowls. I swirled my blue gel into one bowl, and orange into the other.

Then, I started dropping small amount of batter into the cake pan. First a dollop of white, then blue, then orange, all around until all the batter was in the cake pan. Since it was dropped in layers, that's how the cake bakes.

It's honestly pretty neat, and I bet kids would LOVE eating colored cake. Try it out - if nothing else, it's a fun activity. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Booooooooooo!

    (But there is nothing wrong with multi-color cake. Cake is yummy.

    ReplyDelete