Sunday, July 25, 2010

I Scream, You Scream, My Husband Screams for Ice Cream!


So, I mentioned in my welcome post that I've been making ice cream sundaes recently for my injured husband. Being that his arm is in a sling for 5 weeks, it's hard for him to prepare his nightly dessert, an ice cream sundae. Yes, he really does make one for himself almost every night. (He's super skinny, he can do things like that.)

So for the past week or so, I've been having a lot of fun building these sundaes and surprising him. I'm not actually creating my own ice cream, mostly been using store bought and figuring out fun toppings to use. My husband actually does make his own ice cream - my friend (actually, the fore-mentioned old roomie Laurie) - gave us an ice cream maker for our wedding. And my husband eagerly tries out his own creations. My rule: the entire flavor needs to be consumed before he can make more.

This is my rule for one reason...he keeps buying store bought when it goes on sale! Then, he usually prefers the store bought ice cream to his own creations since he's still learning and they are not store quality yet. Except for his peanut butter ice cream. That he eats as fast as he can. So, I limit him to one creation at a time so our freezer doesn't explode with uneaten homemade ice cream.

The latest creation was Brown Sugar ice cream. He debuted it at Father's Day to our families and it went over well. I used this ice cream tonight in a sundae I have now made twice for him. I call it the Brown Sugar Crumble.

The Brown Sugar Crumble uses a tiny scoop of Blue Bunny Bunny Tracks ice cream, just for a little extra something. Then a few scoops of his Brown Sugar ice cream, topped with caramel, crushed graham crackers, whipped cream and sprinkles.

Unfortunately, tonight marked the end of the Brown Sugar ice cream so unless he makes more, there will be no more Brown Sugar Crumbles in the house. Oh, well! It was fun making it while it lasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment