Friday, July 30, 2010

Hamburger Pie!


The following recipe is one my husband and my dad LOVE so much. I originally found it on the Campbell's Kitchen website, but have since modified it as my own by tweaking a few things here or there.

It's easy to make - takes about 30 minutes or so. You can also half the recipe very easily to make a smaller batch.

It's a very filling dish and if I make a full one, it feeds my husband and I for 3 meals, unless I am nice and bring some to my dad to eat.

Hamburger Pie:

at least a pound of ground beef (if making a whole recipe). No more than a pound and a half.

2 packages of crescent rolls

at least 2 cups of whatever shredded cheese you like. (we use cheddar most of the time)

1 can of low fat cream of mushroom soup. (I want to try this recipe out with cream of broccoli but haven't gotten around to that yet).


Steps:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.

Cook the beef in a skillet, stirring often to separate the beef, and until brown. Pour off the fat. (sometimes before I put the beef in the skillet I will mix in some salt or pepper or whatever spice calls out to me that day just for a little something extra - if it is anything else, usually paprika or something like that).

Stir in the soup.

Open 1 package of the crescent rolls and press on the bottom and up the sides of some sort of casserole baking dish. If you want to make it a true pie, use a 9 inch pie dish. I use a rectangle or square Corning cookware dish. Press all of the seams together to seal.

Start your layers! Layer half the beef mixture on the bottom, followed by half the cheese. Repeat the layers once more, or until you have used up your ingredients. The amount of cheese is subjective to how cheesy you like things. I love cheese but I have to go a little easy on it because my husband isn't as much of a cheese fan as I am.

Open the second package of crescent rolls. Place the dough over the filling and press the edges to seal, if desired, or make a cool pattern with the dough to make it look more like a pie.

Bake for 15 minutes or until top is golden brown.

Enjoy with salad, french fries or mashed potatoes or whatever side you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment