Sunday, January 15, 2012

Spinach Balls!


So I was searching for recipes that use vegetable broth since we had some leftover from my husband's chili recipe and I came across these spinach balls from Allrecipes.com.

They looked interesting so I decided to give it a try. I didn't use egg substitute, and just used 2 full eggs.

The balls came out well, but to me, a little bland. I felt they needed either a dipping sauce or an extra spice in the mix like crushed red pepper flakes or paprika or something. But otherwise they were a tasty little side to have with dinner. Or, you can put toothpicks in them and serve them as appetizers!

They were really easy to make but took just a short amount of time because I had to chop the onion. I was able to make these one night after work though, so it wasn't THAT involved.

The recipe is for 8 servings - I halved it as usual.

Ingredients:

2 cups crushed seasoned stuffing
1 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup egg substitute (didn't use and used an extra egg instead)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup butter, melted
3 tablespoons reduced sodium chicken or vegetable broth
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry

Directions:

In a large bowl, combine the first 11 ingredients.

Stir in spinach until blended. Roll into 1-in. balls.




Place in a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve hot.

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. You can also make the spinach in an 8" square pan. This might save some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In regards to the time spent chopping onions - I buy a bag of onions, take a Sunday, chop them all up, then spread them out on a cookie sheet and place in the freezer to freeze and then put them in a freezer ziploc bag. By freezing them in a single layer, they don't all stick together, and then I have chopped onion without all the work when i need them (they also sell frozen chopped onion - which I guess is even easier)

    ReplyDelete