Monday, January 2, 2012

Crock Pot Cooking - Pizza Soup!!


Today I made my second slow-cooker recipe, and this one is definitely a keeper. In fact, I will probably make a big batch to freeze before baby boy comes and that way we can heat and eat quickly!

While I was perusing my new favorite website, OnceAMonthMom.com, I found this recipe for pizza soup that really intrigued me. I immediately e-mailed it to my husband saying, "we need to try this!!"

I did not change anything about the recipe except for halving it. (Right now there is just no need for me to make 8-10 servings of things!) Oh, and I omitted the mushrooms because my husband just does not like mushrooms so if I can leave it out, I do.

I think next time I make it I want to substitute mini meatballs for the sausage for a different taste. The sausage was great, but meatballs could be fun too. Always try something new!

My husband gobbled half his bowl up before I even got a chance to sit down at the table. So, I guess it really was a success.

This recipe takes a little more time to prepare just because you need to wash and dice a bunch of vegetables and the pepperoni and slice the sausage. Once everything is in the pot you just set it to low and let it go and then 30 minutes before it would be "done," you add the uncooked pasta into the pot and turn it to high.

I shortened the cooking time again to about 4.5 - 5 hours instead of the 6 because I didn't have a full pot and I halved the recipe. Turned out just fine!

So here is the recipe: (This is for the full serving size, I halved everything on here)

Ingredients:

28 ounces pizza sauce (I just used marinara sauce)
7.5 cups of water
1.5 cups green pepper, diced
3/4 cups red onion, diced
15.5 ounces diced tomatoes
1 cup mushrooms, sliced (I omitted these)
6 ounces Smoked Sausage, already cooked (I used my chicken sausage from Trader Joe's)
1 cup sliced pepperoni, quartered (I used Hormel Turkey Pepperoni)
1/2 Tablespoons basil, dry
1 Tablespoon oregano, dry
1.5 cups uncooked pasta

Toppings:

French or Sourdough Bread
Butter
Garlic Powder
Parmesan Cheese
Mozzarella Cheese


Directions:

Wash and prepare veggies and place in slow cooker.

Add the sausage, pepperoni, basil, and oregano to veggies.

Pour in pizza sauce and then water.


Cover and cook on low 6 hours. (I did 4.5 to 5 hours)

Thirty minutes before end of time, add pasta and turn to high. Allow pasta to soften.

Serve topped with croutons and Mozzarella cheese.

To prepare croutons: slice bread. Butter one side and sprinkle with garlic powder and Parmesan cheese.

Broil for several minutes or until golden brown. Be careful not to burn.

Remove from oven, cut into squares. Serve on top of soup.


If you want to freeze this recipe, prepare the soup part and then let it cool and store in gallon baggies. To serve, let thaw and heat on stove top. Sprinkle cheese and any other bread topping you want on it at that point!

This honestly was delicious. It was a very hearty soup and didn't really taste like you were eating tomato soup. It did honestly feel like a liquid pizza almost. And it was great!

Try it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment