Sunday, October 30, 2011

Guest Post - Pumpkin Raisin Drop Cookies!


Eating With A readers: My cousin-in-law Melissa recently graduated college and moved all the way across the country to start her new life. I got her started on couponing and now she is kicking my butt and doing it much better than me!

She also has been cooking for herself, so I told her that any time she wanted to send me posts, she can guest write. This is her debut on Eating With A. Everything below this paragraph is her words. Enjoy!


PUMPKIN RAISIN DROPS

I got this recipe from my aunt, who got it from a healthy foods, low-fat cookbook. Keep in mind that these come out cake-like, not like cookies.

I love this for a fall treat! Halloween, Thanksgiving, a random weekday - SO GOOD. I've been making these a few times every fall for a couple of years. They're always a hit with friends and co-workers!

If you aren't a fan of raisins, like me, leave them out!


Ingredients:

1 beaten egg (I use egg-beaters)
3/4 cup canned pumpkin (meaning plain, canned pumpkin -- NOT pumpkin pie filling, which has lots of things added to the pumpkin)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup raisins (I don't use these)
Non-stick spray coating


Directions:

1. In a medium mixing bowl, stir together egg, pumpkin, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla.

2. In a small mixing bowl, stir together flour, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture. Stir in raisins.

3. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray coating. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonsful, 1 inch apart, onto the cookie sheet.

4. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 12-14 minutes or until done. Cool on a wire rack. Makes 24 cookies.


Keep in mind that the standard size jar of Libby's Pumpkin (approx 29oz) will make you 4 or 5 batches of these cookies. Also, even though the "raw" batter looks like baby food and smells less than fantastic, don't let this deter you!


Yes, I know the final product looks a little...gross. But these "cookies" are so spongey and moist, I guarantee that if you like pumpkin, you'll like these cookies.


FYI, as we gradually eat them over the next few days after baking, we usually put them in a toaster oven before serving, so they are hot and slightly browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment