Monday, August 15, 2011

A Delicious Meal from Lyman Orchards - Middlefield, CT!


OK, here is my last post of delicious food we ate in Connecticut. (I swear, I feel like all we did that weekend was eat yummy food!)

This delicious sandwich and salad that I am going to talk about came from The Apple Barrel market at Lyman Orchards in Middlefield, CT. Lyman Orchards are a pick your own orchard and when we went in early August we could have picked peaches (they grow like 20 kinds!), blueberries, apples and pears. But, alas, the day we decided to go to the orchards, it DOWNPOURED most of the morning and they had to close the U-Pick for the day. Sadness.

But it wasn't a total loss - they do have a market place (The Apple Barrel) where they sell fresh produce, home baked pies and doughnuts and other delicious bakery creations, ciders and they have a deli section. My husband and I were heading out to Gillette Castle in East Haddam, CT., so we decided to pick up a picnic type lunch to take with us and eat at the state park that surrounds the castle.

One sandwich caught my eye immediately - it was called the "Crispin." This sandwich consisted of grilled chicken with sliced green apples, cheddar cheese, red onions, lettuce and a cider glaze that was delicious! We just got one because the roll was big enough for us to each eat half the sandwich with a side. Since we were going to picnic, the guy knew we couldn't take any type of salad with us like macaroni or potato salad, because we didn't have a cooler in the car and it would have sat for a few hours - ugh. So he gave us two green apples to take instead.

We also decided to get a half pound of their barley salad - it looked really interesting!! It was barley with some chopped cranberries, pears, walnuts, apples and a light vinaigrette. It was DELICIOUS - seriously one of the best salads I have ever had in any deli.


All in all, we had a very satisfying lunch and I wish Lyman Orchards was closer to my house instead of two hours away so we could eat this delicious food more often!

In addition to our sandwich, my husband decided to buy a mini version of their self-proclaimed famous apple pie. I don't like apple pie, so the regular size would be too much for just him, and the mini was perfect - just a few servings! He didn't try it until after we got back to NY - and he said it definitely was a very, very, very delicious apple pie and definitely worth the buy.

I wish we got to pick some fruit, but maybe next time we go out there. I can see us going back to Lyman Orchards! And to all of you who live in Connecticut close by - I am super jealous!!

I know I have been posting a lot of reviews lately - sorry. We have been eating a lot of foods we have in the house and I haven't been cooking new things much lately. But I am working on ideas for football game day recipes - I already have the first idea in my mind! So stay tuned for some more cooking recipes and I welcome any suggestions for game day ingredients I can work with!!

No comments:

Post a Comment