Sunday, September 25, 2011

Game Day Snack Week 3 - Spaetzle Pizza!


Whew... I am a little late posting this week's game day snack - it's only 25 minutes before the first kick-off here on the east coast and I am just sitting down to write this!!

Anyway, this week's treat is Spaetzle Pizza.. and it's a two step post! I will post the recipe I used to make my own spaetzle, and then what we did to create our little pizza's.

Once the spaetzle is made, you can bring this on the road and make while tailgating on those little grills. or you can pre-assemble the whole pizza and just grill it up or reheat it there.

I was surprised that my spaetzle turned out decently, not being anything close to German, and not usually enjoying working with dough. In fact, most of my dishes I attempt where I make my own dough turn out only so-so. But this worked for once, and I was happy.

The spaetzle is easy to make. It took me about a half hour total from set up to when I finished off sauteing the spaetzle. It was delicious on its own as well, and I could see my husband and I eating this for dinner with a side of our favorite sweet and sour meatballs.

Here is the spaetzle recipe:

Ingredients:

1 cup flour
1/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground pepper (recipe suggested white, I used black because it is what I have, only difference is color)
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter

Directions:

Bring about a gallon of water to boil.

Mix together flour, salt, pepper and nutmeg.

Beat the eggs well and add it alternately with the milk into the dry ingredients. Mix until smooth.

Press the dough through a spaetzle maker if you have one. Or you can use a large holed sieve or metal grater. I used a spaghetti colander. It worked totally fine.

Drop a few spaetzle dough pieces into the boiling water at a time and cook 5 to 8 minutes - drain well.

Saute the cooked spaetzle in butter or margarine. If eating plain - sprinkle some fresh parsley on top and serve!


And now, the pizza's.

I had bought whole wheat pitas to use as our base.

For the "sauce," we used Philadelphia's Cooking Cream in the Italian Herb flavor. Spaetzle went on next, followed by some mozzarella cheese and those crunchy onions that come in a can.


The little pizza was baked in the oven at 375 degrees F for about 10-12 minutes until the cheese began to brown slightly.

Serve warm!

This was a very satisfying dish and my husband really enjoyed his treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment